Since its inception, the Mercedes-Benz brand has been an innovative leader in the automotive industry. In fact, one of its founders, Karl Benz is recognized as the inventor of the first automobile with a three-wheeled “Motorwagen” in 1886.
History of Innovation
Over the next hundred years, Mercedes-Benz introduced a number of innovations that would change the industry and the world. These included things like a honeycomb radiator, an electric-powered car in 1906, the first multivalve engine, a supercharged engine in 1921, four-wheel independent suspension, adding crumple zones to cars, and anti-lock brakes in 1978.
If you are shopping for a Mercedes-Benz today, whether used or new, you can feel confident that it will come with the latest engineering, safety, and connected technology.
- mbrace®. Mercedes-Benz first introduced this system in 2000. At the time, it was known as Tele Aid. Today, mbrace® and mbrace2™ bring internet connectivity inside the car. It also allows drivers to connect to their vehicles through their smartphones and use remote features.
- PRE-SAFE®. The first PRE-SAFE® safety features were introduced in 2002. Today, these features work together to help prevent accidents and provide additional protection when they do happen.
- DISTRONIC PLUS with PRE-SAFE® Brake. Added to the first Mercedes-Benz in 2006, this feature looks ahead in traffic to detect stopped vehicles, warns the driver, and even starts braking to reduce the stopping time.
- ATTENTION ASSIST®. In 2010, drowsy drivers got some assistance with this added feature. It measures over 70 parameters to determine when a driver is feeling drowsy. It will then alert the driver to take a break.
- Car-to-X Communication. First introduced in the 2017 E-Class, this technology can communicate with other similarly-equipped vehicles. It shares important information such as road conditions, accidents, and inclement weather. When this technology is widespread, driving will be smarter and safer than ever.
Experience these unique Mercedes-Benz technologies when you stop by Coast to Coast Auto Sales to test-drive one of our Mercedes-Benz models.